McKinney Cotton Compress Plant

300 blk. Throckmorton

Perry Burrus built a cotton cleaning factory, Burrus Cotton Company, on the east side of McKinney. This plant would clean the cotton after ginning but before compressing, reducing the amount of time the cotton would spend in the carding room being cleaned of dirt, leaves, stems, bugs and other materials. Since the textile mill included a carding room for cleaning cotton after the bales were opened, the construction of a separate cleaning factory demonstrates that the textile mill was not using all the cotton produced in Collin County.
[1]

The McKinney Cotton Compress Company began operations by 1892, boosting the local cotton industry. It originally stood on block 47 of the original town site, in the 400 block of East Hunt Street and was serviced by the Houston and Texas Central and Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroads.

The company abandoned its original site in 1914 and relocated to the 300 block of North Throckmorton Street. The new site provided significantly more space and allowed for expansion. The property now is a sprawling six-acre complex that includes the compress, warehouses, a water tower, and offices.
[2]

This massive complex includes a series of adjoining warehouses that were used to store cotton bales. They are of frame construction and are sheathed with sheets of corrugated metal. Gable roof, sometimes with industrial clerestories, cap the structures.

It’s continuous operation since that time illustrates the significant role that cotton production and processing has had to the growth and development of the city.
[3]

Today the warehouses are utilized by different companies but a future multi-family development will be erected on this site.

It’s continuous operation since that time illustrates the significant role that cotton production and processing has had to the growth and development of the city.[3]

Today the warehouses are utilized by different companies, but a future multi-family development will be erected on this site.